Background, Mission & Goals
MG Alan B. Salisbury (USA-RET), who served nearly 30 years in the U.S. Army, established the Code of Support Foundation in Sept. 2010 with the hope of bridging what he perceived to be a growing gap between our military and the rest of America. He established the Code of Support to help Americans give meaning to the words “Support Our Troops.” The code expands that phrase into meaningful promises that we can all make to the selfless men and women who sacrifice so much on our behalf, and who, in turn are bound by the Code of Conduct for military personnel in which they pledge to give their lives in our defense if called upon to do so.
The Code of Support Foundation hopes to bring the message –and meaning– of the Code of Support to the American people, and works to engage the collective resources of the entire nation in contributing to our national defense. The foundation’s mission and goals are as follows:
The mission of the COS Foundation is to ensure (1) that all Americans contribute to our national defense by actively supporting America’s military constituencies (including our troops, wounded warriors, military families and veterans); (2) that our troops and their families have the necessary support resources available to them so that they can fulfill their commitment to serve our nation and defend our freedom; and (3) that the nation fulfills its obligations for continuing support to these constituencies after their active service is completed.
1. To ensure that every American fully understands the depth of service and sacrifice of the military community on our behalf; appreciates the support needs of our active duty military, our wounded warriors, our military families, and our veterans; and is committed to contributing to the security and well being of our nation by actively supporting those who serve.
2. To be a strong advocate for the needs of the military community and those organizations which help to address these needs.
3. To act as a bridge and facilitator to bring non-government organizations and the military community together in order to effectively link resources with those in need.
4. To identify under-resourced critical needs, to assist in developing resources to support those needs, and to help grow scalable organizations addressing those needs.
5. To provide potential donors (individuals and organizations) with a means to be strategically philanthropic, by identifying, vetting and recommending a select pool of effective, scalable non-profit organizations which merit their targeted investment.